Chicken and Artichoke Stew with Olives
Serves 4 to 6
- 6 chicken thighs, excess fat and skin trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons Bellucci 100% Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 14.75 ounce jars of Cynara Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1. Heat a large cast iron pan over medium high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil and brown the thighs skin side down first. Cook for 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the fennel, onion and garlic to the pan and stir, scrapping any bits and pieces from the bottom of the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the chicken back to the pan, along with the artichokes and chicken stock. Cover the pan and simmer over medium low heat for 45 minutes.
3. Add the chopped herbs, sour cream, and olives and serve immediately.
Chef Aran Goyoaga
Her food blog Cannelle et Vanille is a 2-time James Beard Award finalist and was named number 2 best food blog in the world by the UK Times.
Aran grew up in the Basque Country in Northern Spain in a family of professional pastry chefs and cooks. Her love of food began in her maternal grandparents’ pastry shop and in the fields of her paternal grandparents’ farm. Aran worked as a professional pastry chef for years before turning into food styling and photography.
She is also the author of “Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family’s Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking” (Little, Brown & Co), which was named one of the top 6 cookbooks of 2012 on Good Morning America.